Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Advertising induced violence

Ok, so here's thinking this thing is in dire (dire mind you) need of an update. So here's a few things I've been wrestling with.

Firstly, like many fans of Irish radio, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Clearwire broadband. I mean fair play to them for the advertising campaign, great publicity and all that, but I am insulted, insulted that they are making such a mockery of our intelligence.

"When you want to make toast, you just plug in your toaster."

My god. What brand of toaster do they use? Over here you have to buy bread, electricity, put the bread into the toaster, turn the toaster on, and then watch it in case it burns and sets off the bloody fire alarms. So much for broadband being as simple as making toast, say I.

Another thing, I got bored the other night...ok more bored than usual, lets say, and set up a profile on Match.com. Aside from having a beef with any site that advertises itself as a free dating site then demands subscription for anything decent, because lets face it, that's just good business sense on their part, they send out this little mail to you every so often with what they consider to be your matches. All well so far.

Unfortunately most of said options are in the states. Or the UK. Can't exactly pop out for a coffee/tea/whateverthe hell they drink for a chat to see what they're like? Well I could, but it would set me back a bit, and seems like too much effort for a cup of coffee/whatever. I could also use chat, but yak yak, blah blah, time difference and so forth, chances of getting a decent conversation with these young, obviously busy people seems pretty slim. But, you know me, I'm a tryer, so I've confined myself pretty much to window shopping for the minute. Which brings me to my next issue...

While browsing, I came across a profile which was very, very specific about what was wanted. Not height or fitness wise now, but she was looking for a state of mind, someone who knew where they were going in life and were already well-established. I'll admit, seeing someone that certain was frightening.

Not one to pass something like this off, I wondered (famous last words, I know, but can you do?) why exactly it bothered me. I suppose it seemed like a fairly lonely option...and more than a bit of a cop out. Demanding to meet someone in their twenties who already knows without a shadow of a doubt where they are going is daunting enough, but it also means very little work from, or rather on, your part.

Maybe that's the appeal; having a solid centre in your life while you find yourself. Personally I think a pet would be a better investment, but then again I don't think its wise to look for something on someone that you haven't found yourself. We're all too young to know where we really want to be, I think.

But enough about me.

Saw the new Harry potter film, wasn't impressed. If that was me I'd own hogwarts by now. Daniel Radcliff looks like an ostrich and I can't understand why harry isn't packing heat at this point. Extra Bonus mental picture: Harry walks down an alley. Voldemort appears and starts waving his wand. Harry pulls out a 9mm and shoots him in the head. Counter-curse that beeatch.

Saw transformers. Was impressed by the transformers themselves if not by the story, but I'm a guy sooooooooooooooo....yeah.

Saw Die-Hard 4.0, the only impressive thing being that Bruce Willis still has the moves and looks pretty good bald. That scene with the jet was a travisty, no way any pilot would have done that much damage even with orders. Well, I would have but then again I wouldn't have been aiming for bruce either.

Like a fox.

"This is the box. This is where I think. Notice that it is, in fact, outside the box."
"You hired sherpas."
"I hired sherpas."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.